Wednesday, 1 May 2013

Startling

There are so many things to be startled by in South Africa.  I've already written about the mad drivers, but here are a couple of other interactions I have had recently with local fauna of the Richards Bay area.


Startle #1
I was VERY excited to discover that the Golf Estate to which we will be moving (once our furniture finishes its holiday in SIngapore), is a safe place to jog on your own.  Yee ha!

Having a penchant for midday jogging, this is going to suit me down to the ground, I thought.  Earlier reports were that jogging in South Africa is only safe in groups, and knowing that the treadmill at the gym is going to run a little short on scenery soon, this is GOOD NEWS.

SO, it was with much joy that I donned the tekkies (aka runners) and head off for my first exploratory jog around our new home.

Not 200 metres from our new place is the Clubhouse - gorgeous little spot on the hill overlooking the Mzingazi Lake and the First Hole.  My run was to take me past the first tee and water hole, over a cute bridge and thence along the edge of the fairway.  Trotting past the clubhouse I observed the following creature, sunning itself on the edge of the fairway.


I promptly stopped my watch and diverted my course to the pro shop where the following conversation ensued:

Me:     "Ah, excuse me, but is that a crocodile"
Pro Shop Man:     "Yes"
Me:     "Oh, okay.  Right.  Has it been there long?"
Pro Shop Man:     "Oh.  A little while.  Should be there 'til after lunch, but keep your distance just in case"
Me:     "Mmmm.  Okay, sure.  And, what about the golfers - is it okay to jog along the fairways, or do the golfers get annoyed at that?"
Pro Shop Man:     "Oh the golfers?  No, they're fine.  Just keep your eye on them though - if they look like they're about to hit, you're probably best to stop running."
Me:     "Right.  No problem.  Anything else I should know"
Pro Shop Man:     "Ummmm.  Best not to run in the morning - the hippos are usually out then and they can be a little unpredictable"
Me:     "Roger that.  Shouldn't be a problem as I'm not much of an early riser these days... Thanks"

Pro Shop Man:     "Oh, and keep your eye out for the croc's Mum."

Excellent.

So needless to say, my heart rate average was a little higher than normal for my first run around the "estate".  My second attempt on the weekend was not much better, as by now the young croc had moved along and was nowhere to be seen!  I'm not sure what's worse - seeing a crocodile that you know is on your running track, or NOT seeing one!


Startle #2
Not two days later, there I was, quietly surfing the net at the dining room table, Simon and William happily playing a game on the lounge.  Not much going on really - one of those slow Sunday afternoons that can mess with your head if you've not much to do.

As you know, focussing on a screen, can sometimes make you a little oblivious to your surroundings.  Seeing something move out of the corner of my eye sparked a progression of rather rapid thoughts, in the following order:

1.  Oh, Rosie's just walking into the lounge
2.  Hang on, it can't be Rosie, she's in Albany.
3.  Must be that cat from next door I saw wandering around the other day.
4.  But how did the cat get inside?
5.  Oh crap, that's not a cat.... WHAT THE HELL IS THAT THING?
6.  And then, the realisation that...

...AAAAAH! A BLOODY MONKEY'S IN THE HOUSE!!!! 

At which point, said monkey jumps from the floor up onto the kitchen bench, picks up a lolly and then high-tails it out through the laundry window from whence it had come.

And there-in comes the saying "Cheeky monkey".

So here is a picture of the little critter in question (well, okay, not the exact one, but it could have been).  The Vervet Monkey - found pretty much everywhere in South Africa.  We've spent some time observing them swinging in the trees and verges outside, picking away at berries and such, little expecting that the little blighters would make their way inside.

As far as a "home invasion" goes, it was altogether pretty tame.  In the end, I couldn't help but marvel at the audacity of the little thing....and how it managed to find the one item of food on the kitchen bench in amongst the diabolical mess of cameras, phones, cords, empty glasses and the like.  However, it certainly raised my heart rate a little, and has convinced me to contact the real estate agent about getting a flyscreen for the laundry window...

Startle #3
So we visited our local beach on the weekend - Alkantstrand.  Took a lovely walk along the shore and then Simon and William ventured in for a dip between the flags.  Not long after, the lifeguard came down from the dunes keeping a close eye on all the swimmers.  I managed to take a little snap of him.  Startling.