Tuesday, 25 February 2014

All Creatures Great AND Small

We've certainly spent plenty of time trying to spot the Big 5 whilst over here, but the little creatures around the place have captured our imagination too.

They actually have an official "Little 5" group, of which we've only managed to see ONE in the flesh. They are:
  • Ant lion
  • Leopard tortoise
  • Rhino beetle
  • Buffalo weaver bird
  • Elephant shrew
Here's the one we have managed to spot and is a pet leopard tortoise that someone bought down to the club last week. Easy on the food bill, but not so much fun to throw a stick for.









Super Size Me
There are enough small bugs and beetles around to keep even the most amateur entomologist busy. It seems conditions are perfect, as there is nothing particularly SMALL about any of the insect life we've seen!

 

Eat your heart out Portugese millipedes - these babies (shongololo) seem to like the cool of our garage as we find many curled up in a corner whiling away the hours.

For those who prefer winter colours, they also come in a very attractive red.



















Doesn't quite capture it, but this lady bug was huge and is almost the size of William's fingernail!





Scooping the pool also produces some interesting finds!














I've been doing quite a bit of jogging around the place, and one of the exciting things about that, is the myriad species of wildlife I come across whilst out and about. Unfortunately, I don't run with a camera, so many a day I've been found jogging home with some kind of animal so I can take a shot of it.  I'm yet to bound home with an antelope slung over my shoulder (or one of the resident crocs), but some of my smaller finds have been no less exciting!

Jogging home with this massive snail was an exercise in slime avoidance that didn't do much for my running style!

Going up...


…taking in the view...
…and going down!

The absence of the slime factor, made this slater somewhat easier to cart home, although I was a little concerned there might be teeth near one end. Not sure there'd be much left of your tomato patch after a visit from him!
                                  


And so…
…the wildlife both big and small continues to entertain us. This little fellow is neither remarkably big nor small, but his job is remarkably important, and he's one of our favourites to watch!