In the short time we've been here, we haven't ventured too far from home (except for the 30 minute drive to school every day). From this experience, I think it's fair to say that the South African drivers are, for the most part, lunatics. I guess living here means you must have a death wish anyway, so perhaps they take a devil may care attitude in other less risky parts of life - like dropping the kids to school.
Our security briefing at BHP the other day clearly outlined that we are more likely to be injured in a motor vehicle accident than a home invasion. Excellent.
Local custom when you want to overtake someone going 100km/h in a single lane, 100km zone is to drive (at speed) as close to the bumper of the vehicle in front. The discomfort of the front driver is palpable, and they are eventually forced to veer over onto the shoulder. Once in the "shoulder zone", the vehicle behind quickly overtakes, flashing its hazzard lights as a message of "thanks"....or perhaps they're saying something else....we're not quite sure.
Street Signs
Every trip away from home comes with an exciting collection of new street signs and scenes!
This sign was one of the first we saw when coming into town, and naturally, was a cause of much excitement. To date, we haven't yet seen a live hippo but locals report they come down the Mzingazi River just down from our house to have their young.
No paddling or frolicking in the river then, as apparently the mothers can be somewhat protective of their little ones, and woe betide anyone who gets in between them.
I think this sign is to protect would-be fruit vendors from vehicles which have to pull onto the shoulder when executing the overtaking manoeuvre described above.
Where Australia has a penchant for round-a-bouts, South Africa has one for speed bumps. I think this sign should be titled 'Irony'.
I'm yet to find anything calming about speed bumps?
| No martinis while driving......beer's ok. |
Love this one - beautiful clear stretch of road, wide shoulder...
...I guess you just turn to your passenger and "exclaim" something?
Other Stuff
Traffic lights are called ROBOTS. I have to stifle a juvenile snigger every time someone instructs me to "Turn right at the robots", as I just come up with visions of daleks directing me around South Africa.
William has said, "That's so dumb, can we just keep calling them traffic lights?"
We have said, "Yes"
![]() |
| Check this African tree out - the rare and unusual species, Mobilis towerus |
| On closer inspection. Aha! Keeps the monkeys happy! |
And so...
... I think this post may be an ever evolving one as we venture further afield. We are yet to find anything to top some of the signs we found whilst in India (the best being "Better Mr Late than Late Mr"), but we'll keep looking!
